Dr. Joshua Liu is the co-founder and CEO of Seamless Mobile Health, an award-winning health technology company transforming surgical care. During his medical training, Joshua co-led a project at the University Health Network’s (UHN) Centre for Innovation in Complex Care on hospital readmissions. He currently sits on UHN’s primary care follow up advisory committee. Previously, Joshua founded the SMARTS youth science network and served on Shad Valley’s board of directors. Joshua has been named a Canadian Top 20 Under 20, TD Canada Trust Scholar and received the Eric Fonberg MD Award for Health Systems Leadership. He holds a MD from the University of Toronto and a BSc from York University.
- 1. Student Leadership and Volunteerism: Transform Your Life by Helping Others
When I started high school, I was unconfident with low self-esteem. One inspiring presentation later, I took action and started to become a leader in my community. In this perfect talk for high school students, I share my transformational story, the lessons I learned, and motivate young people to start transforming their own lives by helping others.
- 2. Future Scientists, Innovators and Engineers: Your Education Starts after 3pm
I went through high school science like everyone else, but why did I end up in a science discipline like medicine? Looking back, it was exploring science and innovation through extracurricular opportunities like Science Fairs and Shad Valley that helped me the most. In this talk for future doctors, researchers, engineers and innovators, I share how it was the things I was doing after school that put me on the path to success.
- 3. Becoming a M.D.: What Really Matters for Getting into Medical School
Does it matter which university I attend? Do I need to volunteer in a hospital? How much do my grades really matter? There are a lot of myths about what students really need to do to get into medical school. In this talk for university students and graduates, I break down what applicants really need to focus on to maximize their chances.
- Presenter, Innovation Rounds, UHN Centre for Innovation in Complex Care (2011)
- Keynote Speaker, Science Expo (2011)
- Panellist, Leaders of Tomorrow leadership training day, University of Toronto Chemical Engineering Society (2009)
- Panellist, Youth Science Canada Presents…, Canada Wide Science Fair (2008)
- Keynote Speaker, L.I.F.T. High School Conference (2008)
- Panellist, TDSB Imagine Student Success Conference (2008)
- Panellist, TDSB/TCDSB Asian Heritage Month Student Symposium (2008)
- Workshop Presenter, Canadian Teachers Federation Conference (2007)
- Panellist, Impact Entrepreneurship Shad Valley Conference (2007)
Working alongside Dr. Liu in preparation for CUCOH 2013 was a very pleasant experience. Dr. Liu’s knowledge and passion about technology made the Technology Case Challenge a tremendous success and a great addition to the conference. His leadership and insights inspired delegates to explore entrepreneurship opportunities in the future. Dr. Liu’s is seminar presentation was very interesting and educational and will help to empower the next generation in the interdisciplinary fields of health care and technology. I would feel very lucky to have the chance to work with Dr. Liu again in the future.
– Chloe Rozon, Executive Member, CUCOH 2013
I really enjoyed your talk overall; it was delivered well, and you were able to tell your personal story while making it relevant to the audience. I particularly liked how you opened the speech, by explaining what you meant by “not educational.” I think this gave a very honest and genuine feeling to the talk.
– Eddie Kim, Communications, Science Expo 2011
If you’re interested in booking Joshua to speak at an event, workshop, or conference, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
Name of Event:
Description of Event: